I was working on something else and ran into a problem (to be discussed later), which naturally led me to think about things sucking.
I've had this in my work gear for a while, but I never thought to write about it. However, since things are sucking right now, here's something to suck on!
GOsili Extra Long Reusable Silicone Straw + Case
I was shopping at a Whole Foods and saw this on the candy and trashy magazine rack near the checkstand, and so I bought it to keep in in my jacket pocket for the times I go to cities that prohibit plastic straws. It doesn't get soggy or de-laminate if it's left in the drink too long like the replacement waxed paper versions do, and I don't want to start packing another large container to hold the metal straws that are getting popular with the trendy folk.
The Gosili website has some good pictures (that do not transfer well) and many other silicone products. Here is product info for the straw:
Extra Long Reusable Silicone Straw with Case - (Extra Long Size - Perfect for 24oz+)
|Very Small Box|
• 100% European-grade silicone
• BPA, BPS, phthalate, PVC, and lead free
• Comes with aluminum travel / case
• Includes one straw
• Dishwasher safe
• Straws are 10" in length with an opening of .5cm
I have to admit that a jumbo Slurpee has been in my cup holder more than once, and when this straw hits my elbow it bounces right back without tipping the cup over. If you use this with a Slurpee domed lid that has a giant hole in it, you are golden, but a flat, standard soft drink lid with the smaller opening will give you a little problem since the GOsili isn't stiff enough to punch through the "X" opening. I end up pre-punching the opening with my finger and then install the straw.
The standard diameter straw will allow you to drink everything except Boba drinks. For that you will need to get the larger diameter straw.
Since it is silicone, it will theoretically work with hot drinks, but I don't see myself using it for that.
Recap And Takeaway
- I purchased my straw from a local retailer, but the almost clear version can be ordered from Amazon for $15.00. Don't do that; go to your local Whole Foods and buy one like mine for much, much less.
* * *Just a reminder: if you plan on buying anything through Amazon, please consider using our referral link. When you do, a portion of the sale comes back here to help keep this site running!
If you have comments, suggestions or corrections, please post them so we all can learn. And remember, Some Is Always Better Than None!
NOTE: All items tested were purchased by me. No products have been loaned in exchange for a favorable review. Any items sent to me for T&E will be listed as such. Suck it Feds.