These 20-Minute Instant Pot Chicken Burrito Bowls are a delicious, healthy quick dinner or meal prep idea using mostly pantry staples read on for a slow cooker option! Jump to Recipe
Ingredients in Instant Pot Burrito Bowls
These burrito bowls couldn't be easier to make! Most ingredients are pantry staples with just a few extras chicken and black beans makes these bowls full of protein, while the veggies add fibre. You can always stir in some cheese at the end if you desire! Here's what you need to make these bowls:
- 2 chicken breasts
- black beans
- taco seasoning
- red, green and yellow pepper (or just one of the three)
- chicken broth
- crushed tomatoes
- white rice
- plum tomatoes
- sour cream
How to make Instant Pot Burrito Bowls
These burrito bowls are a one pot wonder! You basically just dump everything into your Instant Pot then push the pressure cook button easy right?! Here's how you make these burrito bowls:
- Dump all ingredients in the order in which they are listed (except for toppings) in the Instant Pot.
- Set to manual and pressure cook on high for 4 minutes.
- When complete, press cancel and do a quick release of the steam.
- Remove lid, stir contents well and divide among 6 bowls.
- Top with any toppings you desire (optional), then serve and enjoy!
Ingredient substitutions and notes
There are a number of modifications that can be made to this recipe and these burrito bowls can even be made vegetarian if you leave out the chicken and use vegetable broth! Take a look at the substitutions you can make below.
Chicken Leave the chicken out altogether and double up on the black beans if you want to make these burrito bowls vegetarian. This way you save some prep time too!
Beans If you don't want to use black beans, you can use 1 cup of brown or green lentils, or a can of chickpeas or kidney beans. You can also leave the legumes out altogether, but make sure to add 1 more chicken breast.
Veggies I include green, red and yellow bell peppers in the burrito bowls they end up cooking on high pressure with the rest of the ingredients which softens them quite a bit. If you like your peppers more tender-crisp, stir them in at the end after cooking on high pressure. You can also just leave the peppers out altogether, or stir some spinach in at the end for extra veggies.
Rice I use white rice in this recipe a previous version as you'll see in the video used jasmine rice. If using jasmine rice, cut the broth down to 1/2 cup. Unfortunately I'm not able to advise on any other type of rice, and you can't sub in cauliflower rice for the white rice as that will result in a soupy mess.
Salsa I like to use a fresh salsa (find it in the produce section with the other fresh dips and hummus). If you don't want to use salsa, you can double up on the crushed tomatoes. You can also use plain jarred salsa.
Making slow cooker Burrito Bowls
You can easily make these burrito bowls in your slow cooker! Here are the instructions:
- Spray crockpot with cooking spray, then add all ingredients except for toppings in the order in which they are listed. Make sure to push rice down underneath liquid as much as possible.
- Cook on high for 4 hours, or on low for 8 hours, stirring 1-2 times midway through cooking time
Burrito Bowl toppings
There are SO many toppings you can include on these burrito bowls! A good rule of thumb is to use your fave nacho toppings. Here are some ideas:
- Pico de gallo
- Sour cream
- Red onion
- Black olives
More easy Instant Pot recipes
Looking for more one pot Instant Pot recipes? I've got you covered!
- Instant Pot Salsa Verde Chicken
- Instant Pot Chicken Enchilada Soup
- Instant Pot Barbacoa Beef (Chipotle copycat)
Storing and reheating
You can store the leftover burrito bowls in the fridge up to 5 days make sure to store the toppings separately! To reheat, sprinkle some water overtop and microwave for 2-3 minutes, stirring halfway through. This should revive your rice bowl completely so it doesn't taste leftover, then you can add fresh toppings so they're good as new!
Freezing Instant Pot Burrito Bowls
You can also freeze these burrito bowls after they have been cooked. Simply freeze in individual portions in glass bowls, then defrost in the fridge overnight before reheating or reheat from frozen by sprinkling water overtop and microwaving for 6-7 minutes, stirring halfway through.
Meal prep tools for this recipe
- TheInstant Pot DUO Plus 60is the version I use in this recipe.
- Grab someglass meal prep bowlsif you plan on packing this dish up for leftovers
- This is my fave taco seasoning if you dont feel like making your own!
- Freeze this recipe in glass microwave-safe bowls up to 3 months
- Or these aluminum foil containers are perfect for re-heating straight from the freezer to oven
- And of course I get all my free range chicken breasts from Butcher Box!
Meal prep challenge
If you'd like some more help with meal planning, then you'll love my free 5-day meal prep challenge! It's basically a free course that will teach you how to meal prep and cook healthy meals at home with some PDF bonus materials. Sign up for free below:
20-Minute Instant Pot Chicken Burrito Bowls
These 20-Minute Instant Pot Chicken Burrito Bowls are a delicious, healthy quick dinner or meal prep idea using mostly pantry staples read on for a slow cooker option!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 chicken breasts (diced into 1-inch cubes)
- 1 can black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 tbsp taco seasoning
- 1 onion (diced)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1/2 each red, green and yellow pepper (diced)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup salsa ((I used the fresh kind found in the refrigerated section of the grocery store as I prefer it))
- 1 cup white rice
- 1/2 tsp salt ((optional you can add in after if it needs it))
- Diced plum tomatoes for topping
- Chopped scallions for topping
- Sour cream for topping
Dump all ingredients in the order in which they are listed (except for toppings) in Instant Pot. Ensure you add rice on top of everything else or rice will burn the bottom of the pot.
Set to manual and pressure cook on high for 4 minutes. Instant Pot will take about 10 minutes to pre-heat and then the 4 minutes to cook.
When complete, press cancel and do a quick release of the steam, waiting until the pressure gauge drops back down and the lid is safe to open.
- Remove lid, stir contents well and divide among 6 bowls. Top with plum tomatoes, scallions and sour cream (I also sometimes add cheese, lettuce, more cilantro, avocado and whatever other veggies I have on hand). Serve and enjoy!