So, I saw the idea for this casserole the other day and just knew that I was going to have to make it myself and in my own way. First of all, I didn’t need a 13x9'“ dish casserole since my family unit is small and, while I force leftovers, there’s only so many days in the week. That’s why I halved the recipe right off the bat.
I also work really hard to limit the amount of meat we eat, so I thought it would be pretty fun to try and make a meatloaf into a vegetarian dish. I guess you can just call me crazy. But, I’m happy to report back that it totally worked out and it worked out SO well.
A few other minor changes I made to make this casserole a bit more healthy was to use a reduced fat cheese, chickpea noodles. I also use a low sugar ketchup and BBQ sauce, but you can really use whichever one is your favorite because I didn’t calculate mine to the nutrition numbers below.
All in all, and even with the few flub-ups I made with cooking this casserole of which I hope no one notices, this casserole turned out really really good and I will absolutely be making it again really soon.
Vegetarian Meatloaf & Macaroni CasseroleYield: 9Author: The Skinny Fork (Amanda Plott)Prep time: 10 MinCook time: 45 MinTotal time: 55 MinA delicious crowd pleasing weeknight dinner that combines the classics of macaroni and cheese with meatloaf into one tasty casserole!
- 1/2 C. Ketchup
- 1/2 C. BBQ Sauce
- 1 Lb. Vegetarian 'Ground Meat'
- 15 Crackers Crumbs
- 1 Oz. Dry Onion Soup Mix
- 1 Whole Large Egg
- 1 1/2 C. Garbanzo Shell Noodles
- 1 C. Unsweetened Almond Milk
- 1/2 (10.5 Oz.) Can Condensed Cheddar Cheese Soup
- 1 1/2 Tsp. Garlic Powder
- 1 1/2 Tsp. Onion Powder
- 1/2 Tsp. Salt
- 1/2 Tsp. Pepper
- 2 C. Shredded Reduced Fat Mozzarella Cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. and lightly coat the inside of a 8x8" or 9x9" baking dish with non-stick spray; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the 1/2 C. ketchup, 1/2 C. BBQ sauce and stir until well combined.
- Reserved 1/2 C. of the sauce and set aside.
- Add the 1 Lb. vegetarian 'ground meat' to the remaining 1/2 C. sauce.
- Stir in the 15 cracker crumbs, 1 Oz. onion soup mix and 1 egg.
- Transfer the 'meat' mixture to the bottom of the prepared pan and top with the 1/2 C. reserved BBQ sauce.
- Place the pan into the oven to bake for 30 minutes.
- While the 'meatloaf' is cooking, cook the noodles according to package directions; drain and rinse.
- Place the noodles into a medium bowl along with the 1 C. milk, 1/2 can of cheese soup, 1 1/2 Tsp. onion powder, 1 1/2 Tsp. garlic powder, 1/2 Tsp. salt, and 1/2 Tsp. pepper.
- Fold in 1 C. of the mozzarella cheese.
- Once the 'meatloaf' is done, remove it from the oven and top with the macaroni.
- Top it all off with the remaining 1 C. cheese.
- Return the dish to the oven and bake for about another 15-20 minutes.
- Once done, remove from the oven and enjoy right away!
Sat. Fat (grams)7.28
Nutritional Claims: Peanut Free • Soy Free • Fish Free • Shellfish Free •Pork Free • Crustacean Free • Celery Free • Mustard Free • Sesame Free • Lupine Free • Mollusk Free •Alcohol Free • Sulphite Free
Skinny Classic Meatloaf
Skinny Meatloaf & Mash (Instant Pot Dinner)
Healthified Meatloaf Cupcakes & Cauliflower Mash
Did you make this recipe?Tag @theskinnyfork on instagram and hashtag it #theskinnyfork