The pungency of pepper & the aromatic fennel makes this Pepper Mushroom Fry recipe a deeply flavored & intensely savory curry. A vegan & keto mushroom masala recipe! This mushroom curry is a simple yet tasty dish that can be made in 20 minutes.
Love for mushrooms
I love mushrooms! I love spicy food! Therefore if there is a dish which gives me both, then I am in! Mushrooms are my weakness and I like to add them to any dish I can. Ever since I discovered Mushroom Kalan Masala/ Mushroom Stir Fry (popular street food from Coimbatore), I have been making that regularly at home. My grocery trips are incomplete if I don't bring back mushrooms. That is how much I love it!
Why this curry
The flavors of black pepper and fennel seeds really uplift this keto mushroom fry. Spicy Pepper Mushroom Fry is a one-pot meal that you can make for weeknights, pack in a lunchbox, or make on days when you are not in the mood to cook anything elaborate. It does have a slightly hot and fiery flavor thanks to the peppercorns and jalapeno, but it is an extremely flavorful dish. It is vegan, gluten-free, and keto-friendly. Plus you can prepare this one-pot mushroom masala in just 20 minutes.
Why they are good for you
Mushrooms, though classified as vegetables in the food world, are not technically plants. They belong to the fungi kingdom and although they are not vegetables, mushrooms provide several important nutrients and antioxidants. There are some who consider it as non-vegetarian and hence do not consume it.
White mushrooms are low in calories and sugar. They are also high in protein and vitamins. I also love how easy and fuss-free they are to cook with.
This mushroom stir-fry has a South Indian flavor to it because of some ingredients used.
- Mushrooms - Feel free to use any mushroom variety for this recipe. I have used white button mushrooms. Wash them well under running water, drain, slice them in halves and the mushrooms are ready to use in the dish.
- Fennel seeds - It has a special aroma and flavor that enhances the taste of these sauteed mushrooms well.
- Peppercorns - Gives the dish a nice pungent flavor.
- Onions and Bell Pepper - The onions bring in a certain sweetness to the dish that helps to balance the flavors. Bell Peppers pairs well with mushrooms and give a nice crunch to the recipe.
- Mustard seeds and Curry leaves - This gives it a unique earthy curry flavor and aroma.
- Turmeric Powder and Coriander-Cumin Powder (not in pic)
- Ginger, garlic, and jalapeno
The recipe to make this keto mushroom curry is very easy and simple to follow. Plus it all comes together in just 20 minutes! Besides chopping the veggies, also coarsely crush fennel seeds and peppercorns together in a mortar pestle. Keep it aside for now.
- Heat oil in a skillet, temper mustard seeds. Once they crackle, add torn curry leaves, chopped onions, minced jalapeno, ginger, and garlic. Saute till the onions turn translucent.
- Then add the chopped mushrooms. Keep sauteing till the water from mushrooms evaporates completely.
- Next, add the sliced bell peppers and salt. Continue to saute the bell peppers till they are nearly done.
- Time to add the spices. Add the crushed fennel seeds and peppercorns to the pan along with turmeric powder and coriander-cumin powder. Give it all a good mix and cook for another minute before turning off the flame.
Garnish mushroom masala with some chopped cilantro and serve it warm with any Indian flatbread. It also pairs well with steamed rice, cooked quinoa, or cauliflower rice (if following a keto diet). You can also serve it as a mushroom sandwich by adding it in between bread slices or on top of toasted bread to serve as a Bruschetta. You can also stuff it in between savory crepes or use it as a topping for savory pancakes. They would all make a hearty toothsome snack!
Recipe Notes and tips
This recipe works with any kind of mushroom variety. You can also use pearl onions instead of regular onions here. Substitute mustard seeds with mustard powder if needed. Skip adding curry leaves if not available to you. While fennel seeds are key to this recipe, substitute it with cumin seeds if unavailable. Drizzle a teaspoon of honey if the dish turns out to be a bit spicy. It is important to saute mushrooms until all the water evaporates. Adjust the ingredients based on your spice tolerance level.
Do not add salt at the beginning. Seasoning with salt at the end of the cooking process works better in stir-fries. Salt encourages veggies to break down and release water, and that is not the goal in stir-fries. You can use use the same recipe to make Potato Fry instead of mushrooms. It tastes really good. You can prepare this keto mushroom curry and store it in the fridge for 4-5 days.
Here are some of my other favorite mushroom recipes that you can check out.
- Edamame Mushroom Pasta Salad
- Chilly Garlic Noodles
- Japanese Fried Rice
- Mushroom Jalapeno Burger Pizza
If you’ve tried this Mushroom Fry With Pepper or any other recipe on the blog please let me know how it went by commenting below, I love hearing from you!
Mushroom Fry With Pepper
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 tbsp minced ginger
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 32 oz white mushrooms
- 1 red bell pepper sliced
- 5-6 curry leaves
- 1 Jalapeno minced
- 1/2 tbsp peppercorns
- 1/2 tbsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp coriander-cumin powder
- 1/3 cup Cilantro
Besides chopping the veggies, also coarsely crush fennel seeds and peppercorns together in a mortar pestle. Keep it aside for now.
Heat oil in a pan, temper mustard seeds. Once they crackle, add torn curry leaves, chopped onions, minced jalapeno, ginger, and garlic. Saute till the onions turn translucent.
Then add the chopped mushrooms. Keep sauteing till the water from mushrooms evaporates completely.
Next, add the sliced bell peppers and salt. Continue to saute the bell peppers till they are nearly done.
Time to add the spices. Add the crushed fennel seeds and peppercorns to the pan along with turmeric powder and coriander-cumin powder. Give it all a good mix and cook for another minute before turning off the flame.
Garnish mushroom masala with some chopped cilantro and serve it warm with any Indian flatbread.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. For more information on my Affiliate and Advertising Policy, please click here.